Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, January 21, 2013

Bathroom Humor {DIY Wooden Sign}

I'd been brainstorming on something to make for the space on our master bathroom wall just above the toilet.  I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do until I saw this photo on Young House Love with a long, skinny canvas.  Then I got to thinking that something long and skinny would suit that space just fine.  Read on for how I made it.

What you'll need:
  • 3 - 28" x 3" wood
  • 2 - 28" x 0.5" wood (optional)
  • 3 - 3" x 9" wood
  • Acrylic paint (colors are your choice)
  • Hot glue gun
  • Twine
Here's what I used as a template to get started.  The best measurement was 28"x9".


I thought about buying a canvas, but I was trying to do this project on the cheap.  So instead, Mr. Great Indoors scrounged around his scrap wood pile to find enough wood for my measurements.  The three large pieces are 28"x3", and to add some interest, he put two 28"x0.5" wood strips in between.  To spice it up a little, he put two strips in the middle.  It's all held together by three vertical pieces of 3"x9" wood that look a little like a shutter (sort of like this).  To prep it for painting, I sanded it and wiped it down.


Next up, I planned my paint pattern in pencil.  I sorted through a few different ones and landed on three chevron stripes.  The stripes were 1.5" wide, with the tops and bottoms of the chevron spaced two inches apart.


I painted the stripes with acrylic paint (coral on top, peach in the middle, and white on the bottom).  My vision was originally to have the entire sign painted in one color, but I like the combination I ended up with.  I allowed the paint to dry for a few hours


Then using my paper template, I eyeballed the letters and hot glued my twine onto the wood.  I just put a spot of hot glue where I wanted my letter formed, and placed the twine on top.


To hang it, we used picture hardware just like with my friend's bathroom sign.


Just for fun, I painted the edges yellow.  I like seeing that extra detail while I'm brushing my teeth.  :-)




The phrase is two-fold:  an inspiration for the beginning of our day, plus a cheeky bit of bathroom humor.  What do you think?  We love it.

3 comments:

  1. Erin I love it! So cute. PS: Where did you get your Georgia shaped tray (?) resting on top of your wainscoting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chevron!! Who doesn't love a little bathroom humor ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Won't you leave one?