Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Guest Bathroom: The Iron Curtain

Old Winston would be proud of this curtain.  No, not THAT curtain (although it is a lovely color scheme, no?).  We're not Communists.

Image here

I guess I'm getting ahead of myself a bit.  A month ago (although it seems like that was just yesterday) I posted about the end of my burlap-colored dream.  My grand plan for the guest bathroom shower curtain was to DIY an extra-long burlap curtain, bringing in a nice variation in texture and trying out a new type of fabric.

Alas, burlap is one stinky fabric.  So I gave up that pipe dream and started brainstorming about other options.  I really wanted to MAKE something, especially since I hadn't been really crafty with anything in the bathroom project.  And one of my resolutions for the year was to be more creative.  I got some great suggestions on the last curtain post about what to do (including DIYing a shower curtain out of a bedsheet), but I still hadn't made up my mind about what I wanted to do. I lusted over a few from Target, but it felt like cheating since I wouldn't be making it.

Well, I cheated.  Really, it wasn't cheating as much as it was seizing an opportunity.  We were just killing some time at HomeGoods a few weeks ago when this guy introduced himself to me.



At $12.99, there was nothing I could do but giddily leave the store with a HomeGoods bag.  I finally put it up last week.  Here's the old hookless curtain:


And the beautiful new one, which strangely resembles that $35 version I eyeballed at Target...


Image here

And there's good reason for that.  I was looking for the care tag when I found this familiar symbol.  I love playing the system!


The new hooks (also from HomeGoods for six buckaroos) look awesome, too.


I did wash the curtain first and even attempted ironing it, but no luck getting the package creases out.  How does Martha do it?  I guess she would have made her own curtain with piping and ruffles and buttons, complete with pockets for all your bath goods, and probably laced with homemade potpourri from her garden.  *On knees*  I'm not worthy.


I haven't bought a curtain liner yet (I'd like to get a fabric liner that's easy to throw in the wash), and I need to figure out a way to get the shower curtain to look longer.  Right now it's got some serious high water issues since I didn't lower the curtain rod.  As long as it isn't any other kind of water issue... like this or this.

What's been going on in your neck of the woods?  Have you made any equally-solid curtain purchases?  Are you a sucker for HomeGoods deals?  I didn't realize how special it was for us to have a TJ Maxx/HomeGoods until I started reading blogs a few years ago and people pined over them.  Now I totally understand why.

Follow along with the rest of our bathroom adventures: our dream, the before, mildewwww, every day we're drywalling (another a terrible pun), the our thrifted finds so far, ripping out wallpaper, making up my mind on a wall color, rehauling the vanity, an updated to-do list, a teaser of the floor, cleaning and wallpapering, painting, laying flooring, polishing up our light fixture, solving the mildew mystery, hanging some crate storage, deciding on a curtain plan of attack, plus my Pinterest boards for the guest bathroom and master bathroom.

1 comment:

  1. So pretty! What a great find :) I'll have to check out TJ Maxx :) It looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Won't you leave one?